BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Friday, February 11, 2011

My Struggles With Food Allergies

Most of our friends and family know that Sean has severe food allergies. For the first seven months after he started eating solids foods almost everything he ate he would throw up, break out in hives, or start having breathing problems. Once we figured out what his allergies were and I met with a nutritionist life got better. I felt better knowing that I could feed my son and he would not get ill at every meal!
Now I am entering a new set of struggles. It is not something that is bad or life threatening and it is not something I think any other person in my family is going to understand but this is our blog and I want to vent :) Sean is getting to the age now where he wants to be a "big boy" and do everything that everyone around him is doing. And this includes food. It is heart breaking to me that when we actually do finally go out to eat and a cookie comes with the kid's meal he can't have it. He wants it and he wants it even more when he sees Sienna eating it. I look at the cookies I am going to bake for Sienna's preschool class and I know that Sean can't have any. I know it is not a big deal that in the end it will be ok but I feel bad. And everyone always tells me "Oh well he will grow out of some of it," and I hold on to that hope close to my heart but there is a big chance he won't grow out of his major ones and he will for the rest of his life he will have to be very careful.
I guess too I know that our eating as a whole in our family is going to have to change. Granted it has changed a lot from before (it is much healthier now) but we are quickly coming to the point where we cannot have any of the "danger" foods in our home. This makes me sad for Sienna because she is ok with eating these foods. It is a struggle and I know it will be ok. I guess I just had to get this all out of my system in order to move forward :)

0 comments: